Sunday, May 29, 2005

I've said this before, but

Part of the reason I don’t really post that often is because I feel I’ve said what I need to say on the subject before. That happened twice today. The first is a couple of comments I left at Levitt’s blog. The second is this comment I am leaving at TalkLeft about how to solve the heroin problem in Afghanistan. This one is short enough to repost in its entirety from Slate. Originally written 5-18-04.

We need to legalize heroin in Afghanistan

I was watching Dave Barno's talk (audio available at the csis site) about how poor the security situation is in Afghanistan and how little reconstructive work has been done (the ring road is the only serviceable road in the country) when it became clear how much of the mission in Afghanistan is preoccupied by interdiction of the opium trade. If you listen to the audio, you'll see how he emphasizes this factor as consuming a large part of the resources in that theater, apparently including his own attention.

This is a phenomenal waste. The degradation of governmental legitimacy that results from prohibition is having harsh real world effects in Afghanistan. This isn't just about letting a few people get high, it is a matter of life and death. Because the western occupation forces in Afghanistan are actively attempting to destroy its most profitable (and only) export, they are receiving very little cooperation from the populace.

If we allow the gangsters of Afghanistan to organize and profit off of the opium trade, we create a source of power that is alternative to the central government. Large western powers have periodically entered and left the life of most Afghanis while heroin gangsters have been a perpetual presence. If we force the Afghanis to choose between the two, the smart money will be on the gangsters.
|

5 Comments:

Blogger Scott Edwards said...

Wow what a cool blog you have here! I am impressed. You really put a lot of time and effort into this. I wish I had your creative writing skills, progressive talent and self discipline to produce a blog like you did. Your blog really does deserve an honest compliment. If you have some time, stop by my site, it deals with stuff like, click here: wealth and then feel free to e-mail me with your words of wisdom.

P.S. I'll sure put the word out about your site and I would appreciate any business you may send my way...

Later, Scott ;-)

12:42 AM  
Blogger karl said...

Hiello there TheJew, I happened on your site while searching for some info on wealth building and found you had some interesting things to say. Your I've said this before, but was not relevant to my wealth building quest but Interest me in that you have a great insight and food for thought for intelligent minds.

10:17 AM  
Blogger karl said...

Hi, TheJew, I was surfing and searching for some info on emerald passport and noticed your site. Your I've said this before, but though sounded interesting so I took a look. It was not relevant to my emerald passport quest but I am glad to stop by and view your interesting viewpoints! Keep up the good blogging.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Scott Edwards said...

Congradulations on a very well written, interesting and surperb blog!

Hi I am a "bot" who works for Scott. I never complain or cry that I work too hard and I try to write my very best compliment on each deserving blog. Some times I repeat myself so please excuse me if I have complimented you more than once as I am here to please you and I would like for you to check out Scott's webpages. They deal with stuff like, click here: automatic and then feel free to e-mail me or Scott with your words of wisdom.

P.S. I'll sure put the word out about your site and I would appreciate any business you may send our way...

Later, Scott's bot ;-)

4:46 PM  
Blogger Anny said...

Very useful TheJew, I can use what you've got here on I've said this before, but as well as your other stuff for the research we're doing for real estate wealth. Cheers, Anny.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home